Sunday, May 24, 2009

the townhouse

jane loves this line of toys called calico critters. they are only sold in some toy stores. you can’t find them at target or toys r us, but you can find them at learning express, wooden horse, d and j hobby, and diddams. since these are the places that have them, these are the places we like to shop. they almost always have a dollhouse and dolls to play with at these stores. and they also almost always have the calico critters townhouse on display for the figures to live in. jane has A BALL playing with this thing. every now and then I look at the price- its usually about $100. since jane already has a dollhouse, I don’t even consider it.

diddams had one on display, but they put it away during the holidays. recently, they put it back in its box and back on the shelf. I have been trying to score a deal for months. I have called and gone in maybe 10 times, talking to several different managers trying to score a deal. I tell them that the toy has been played with by hundreds of children. its technically not a new toy- it’s a used toy. the box has clearly been opened, and the original packaging is no longer there. I have told them that I would like to buy it for $40. one manager told me that they would give it to me for %10 off. another %20. another %50 off- which would bring the cost to $50. I have been holding out for $40. they haven’t budged, and I haven’t budged, so I just gave up on the idea. jane has actually stopped playing with the townhouse whenever we go to these stores; so I figured that it’s a lost cause. until about an hour ago.

I was at goodwill looking for patio furniture, and I found the calico critters townhouse in mint condition (although its missing a few small pieces). the cost was $5.99!
I scooped it up and took it to the checkout without hesitation and without looking back.


now jane has it, and loves it, and is playing with it happily. where will it go? I have no idea. will she have 2 dollhouses? I guess. maybe it could go in my office! not if jane has anything to say about it.

SCORE! I feel like Indiana jones discovering a lost treasure!
woo hoo!

P.S. this is what happens when you become a dad. I used to get excited about finding a rare U2 single or scoring front row tickets. now I am thrilled to find something my kid will enjoy. seeing her enjoy a gift makes me enjoy the purchase all the more. I guess I'm grown up.

1 comments:

jdanis said...

Congratulations on scoring a deal, and upon realizing how priorities change with kids. Your happiness depends more upon your kids happiness than most anything else. Funny how trips to the amusement park (especially Disneyland) changes with bringing your little one, especially when you experience it for the first time through their eyes.