Saturday, June 6, 2009

church::gym entry 22

I have upped my cardio time from 30 minutes to 60 minutes. I haven't got the hang of it yet. I'm still working on it. today I got on the exercise bike and started pedaling. a younger guy got on the bike next to me and said, "are you going for 60 minutes again?!" I totally forgot that he and I had talked about this a few weeks before. "oh yeah," I said. "I'm trying to get the hang of it. its still pretty hard for me."
"I don't think I could ever do that!" he said.
"sure you could." I answered. it just popped out of my mouth. like an exhale.
at that moment I realized that I was being for him like gary has been for me.
at that moment I realized that I was not only being like gary, I had a responsibility to be like gary. so I poured on the encouragement. I gave him some tips. when he finished his 30 minutes I said, "good job bro! you did it! you'll be up to 60 minutes in no time!"
when he walked out, he gave me a head nod, and I could tell that my words had lifted him up.


everyone of us has received encouragement, training, inspiration, and courage from someone else. that can't just end with you- its got to go forward. if you're a believer, someone shared the gospel with you. that can't end with you- its got to go forward to someone else. and then it needs to go forward from them as well. the apostle paul said it this way to timothy, the one that he was investing in:
"and the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others."


who has invested in you?
go and be like them and invest in someone else.
it can't just end with you-
its got to go forward.
you have a responsibility.


God is love.
-rev-rob

0 comments: