Friday, June 19, 2009

minister on call; june 2008

I’m minister on call this week. that means I respond to emergencies, like members in the hospital. i went the whole week without a call until this morning. one of our members had a heart attack. I went down to the hospital, and found his room, but i didn’t go in, because his doctor was talking to him. his doctor talked to him for a LONG TIME. so I just stood there outside of his room.


I looked in the next room and saw a bunch of pictures of children taped to the wall. “that’s weird.” I thought. “you’re not allowed to tape pictures to the wall in the trauma center! why would an older person even WANT pictures of babies taped to the wall?! maybe their kids just had a baby and think that photos of the grandkids wil pull them through.” there was a young man sitting in the room. he was younger than me. he was holding a woman’s hand. as I looked closer at the pictures, I noticed that he was the dad of these kids. they were twins. then I thought, “it’s not the grandkids. it’s the kids. I hope the woman in the bed isn’t their mom!”


I visited with the church member. he’s doing fine. I kept thinking about this mom and her kids and her husband. he didn’t let go of her hand the entire time I was there- which was about 30 minutes. as I walked out of the trauma center, I saw a young woman lying in the bed. she was asleep with a big breathing mask on her face and tubes everywhere. ugh. this was a mom of twins, and she was really sick. I just started praying. I prayed all the way home.


if you’re a person that prays, pray for this lady.
her kids and her husband need her.
I think I’ll go check again tomorrow.

2 comments:

Emily said...

The prayer requests that Karen sent out to the staff on Wednesday had a lady who was 33 years old who is the mother of twins who is hospitalized in a coma... She is the neighbor of a lady from our church... everything has happened with in the last 2-3 days. I wonder if it was this lady? I forwarded you the email that Karen sent out with the prayer request highlighted...

Emily said...

Also, what a reminder that none of us know the number of our days... I will definitely keep this lady- and her family in my prayers.