Saturday, August 9, 2008

10 places that I would miss

have you ever moved away from home? are there places that you make sure to go to when you go back? for some reason, whenever I go back to modesto, I always go to the velvet creamery, the taco trucks, and david wong’s china express. I’ve got memories all over that town, but I never really go and visit anything other than those restaurants. I was thinking about what i would miss if I ever left the south bay area; and here is the short list::

1. vasona park/ oak meadow park:
I’ve had so many great memories here with my family. jane and i have easily spent hundreds of dollars riding the train and the carousel. (i was actually riding the train with jane this morning as i was thinking up this list). if i ever leave and come back, I would visit there.

2. willow glen
when we first moved into town, we lived on the willow glen side of town. it’s a charming little strip. we especially enjoy the world famous children’s bookstore, hickelbee’s, as well as powell’s candy shop, pizza my heart, starbucks, and the frozen yogurt place. the thrift shops are great too. I love willow glen books- they have the best local history section around.

3. venture/ my office
if i moved away and came back, i would definitely come by the church and see who is in my office, and what they are doing with it. i’ve spent a lot of time in that little room, and i’ve had a lot of incredible conversations in it.

4. the santa cruz mountains
if i moved away, i would miss the view of the santa cruz mountains that i enjoy from just about any part of the area. i love to hike in the new almaden area and i have spent many hours at the novitiate which overlooks highway 17. i have loved driving through those mountains to boulder creek, mount hermon, roaring camp railroad and to santa cruz. the mountains are beautiful, and whenever I leave the area, they are always a welcome sight, and an indicator that i’m close to home.

5. almaden lake park
the place that i have often called, “my front yard.” I have biked and hiked through this park hundreds of times. jane loves the toddler park and the bocce ball. we have so many great memories here.

6. Malibu grill“my other office.” when people say, “where do you want to go to lunch?” or “where did you take your friend for lunch?” i often answer, “where else?” of course it’s the grill. i love the people who run this place, i love the food, and i love the vibe. its not great for a real serious meeting, which might be the reason i go there so often.

7. los gatos
there are so many places and sights in los gatos that i love: the great bar coffee shop with their CCC’s, the wooden horse toy shop, the borders bookstore (the best borders in the world). i love the town and its charm.

8. the mountain winery
this is my favorite place to see a concert by far. so intimate and memorable. i’ve seen al green, hall and oates, k.d. lang and i’m sure others. check their website, odd are that one of your favorite bands will swing through the winery- buy some tickets. you’ll be glad that you did.

9. the shark tank
i’ve spent so many nights at the tank cheering on a team, or watching a band or attending a conference. its so cool that its so close. again, I have so many fun memories in that building.

10. santa cruz
i really enjoy santa cruz. i live elm street mission. i love the boardwalk- when all of the lights and music are on at night, it created such a fun atmosphere. i love seabright and natural bridges beaches.

i love where i live. i love reading about all of the local history of this area; i love being able to say to my family on a saturday morning, “what do you want to do today?” and have so many options. there are a bunch of other places in town that I really love: like the discovery museum, happy hollow, Santana row, villa montalvo, my gym, and a bunch of other places; but these are the places that I think that i would really miss if i ever moved away.

0 comments: