Monday, August 4, 2008

random-rob-thoughts: august 4

its been a week or so since my last blog.
I’ve been sort of busy, and not feeling all that creative, but here is an update on me and my world:


:: I was off of caffeine for a couple of months, and just starting to feel like I was over it. then missy, one of the middle school staff ladies came to church on a tuesday night and gave me a cup of mcdonald’s sweet tea. it was a gift. I had to drink it. after one sip I felt like I could see better- and hear more and my skin felt tingly- and I became so creative and full of life! I woke up! and my sparkle was bright again! some students got a kick out of seeing me hyper. some have developed a pretty good impression of caffeine-rob. I had caffeine all that week and all week at hume. it was so fun. I even had a few red-bulls. whoa! now I’m off again (except for the invigorating water). maybe that’s why I haven’t felt so creative…


:: I found a bag of m&m’s on my desk the other day with a post-it note attached to it. it said, “congratulations rob! I’m so proud of you!” I asked around to see who it was from, but nobody knew. it was from luke. he felt bad that I didn’t get a prize for my potty-power last week. wow- that IS a good prize! I’m a big kid now!


:: speaking of big kids, I’ve been having a lot of fun with my big kid recently. we’ve been looking all over for a safari hat so that jane can go on a safari around the house searching for a black panther (calvin). we finally found one at a party store.





and the safari began right there in the store. it got a little awkward when she started crawling around on the floor with her safari hat, searching for calvin. we also got big sunglasses at chuck e. cheese after cashing in our tickets.





yesterday we had dinner together at the mall. there was a sale at disney store and we got new ariel-flip-flops- only $3!





(seriously. if you have kids, and they like disney, keep an eye out for their sales. once they are ready to move something out, they slash the price.) last weekend we got to go and ride thomas the train at roaring camp railroad.





the train ride was ok, what was really awesome was the way that they decked out the entire area to be like the island of sodor, thomas’ home.


:: I spoke in big church a couple of weeks ago.





I felt like it went over. the people at venture are so kind. they often see me and ask if I’m speaking soon. and they always tell me that I did well afterwards. i think the best compliment that I heard was, “if I had only heard that message 30 years ago, I would have saved myself a lot of pain.” wow. if people are able to do business with the Lord, then I’m satisfied with the message.


:: my biggest bus day of the year was last week. annual inspection by the CHP. I save documents and keep those busses in tip-top shape all year, just the see my friend Dale sign his name on a piece a paper and check a box that says, “satisfactory.” he always seems to toss in a threat somehow; like, “cute little girl! that would be such a shame if she didn’t get to see her dad for five years if you ended up in prison for falsifying documents- and I’ve sent youth pastors to prison before…” sheesh! this year we passed with flying colors.


:: I’m working on a new series of messages for the fall. the series is called activist and is based on several passages from the book of james. I’m looking forward to it.





:: I’ve been in 2 chronicles for quiet time. after 1 samuel, 2 samuel, 1 kings, 2 kings and 1 chronicles, I think I’m ready to stop reading about mistake-making-kings.


:: finally, I’ve been going to spin class on monday, wednesday, and fridays. most days its pretty chill because its just me and a bunch of old ladies. but today, there were some star-spinners there. all women. the instructor had us stand up and sprint at the same time on the bike. she usually has us do something like this for 30 seconds. I can usually keep track of the time in my head. after about 30 seconds she said, “almost there!” she lied. she’s a LIAR! we weren’t almost there! we were nowhere near THERE! we couldn’t even SEE there form where were were! another 30 seconds go by. “almost there!” LIAR! I was in serious pain. my face was beet red, sweat was squirting out of every pore on my body. I was really tempted to just sit down, but since there were all girls in the class, I didn’t want to sit down and give up. I looked over at all of them, and they were all doing just fine. instead of 30 seconds, this lady had me spinning and standing for a WHOLE SONG. like 3 and half minutes. LIAR!


crazy. back to work.

0 comments: