Thursday, August 21, 2008

likeability in action 01

like i said in my last blog, i read this book called, the likeability factor- and I’ve been thinking about it a lot actually. i think about it when i interact with others, and often find myself asking, “how likeable am i right now?” “am i doing things that are unlikeable?” “how can i be friendly right now?” one of the questions the author encourages readers to ask is, “have i made anyone smile today?” I’ve been asking myself all of these questions when i meet someone, and i have to say that its made a big impact on my interactions with others.


here is one example: today i was out with jane and Deanna was getting the oil changed in my car. we were in the same neighborhood so we met up. good thing too, because while they were changing my oil, my check engine light came on. this situation graduated from a Deanna errand to a rob errand. the guys at jiffy lube told me that their sensor wasn’t working and that i should go to another jiffy lube. and i did. I turned on my l-factor. i really tried to be friendly to the guys that were helping me. i made an effort to be interested in them and to have a friendly demeanor. normally, i would go in all mad because they broke my car and their stuff wasn’t working, and they were wasting my time, but i tried a whole different route. and i got great service. the second jiffy lube couldn’t figure it out either, but they promised that if i found a sensor that could diagnose the problem that they would fix it for free.


i went to kragen and again get it my best to be friendly, interested, empathetic and authentic- and again, i got some great help. one of the managers called one of his mechanic friends to try and help me for free. he couldn’t get a hold of his friend, but he gave me his card and told me to call later so that he could connect me with his friend.


i kept driving to the ford dealership and told them what had happened and again, gave it my best to be friendly, interested, and empathetic. they told me, “we don’t want to charge you for this, so let’s just look under the hood.” the guy said, “these systems are very unique. and when this plug (he held up and unplugged-plug) are unhooked, your check engine light turns on!” he plugged it back in, and sent me on my way. i called all of my new friends who helped me and thanked them again.


wow! not only dies this work, but its just more fun to be friendly than to be a jerk. we believe a lie that if we storm in and demand our rights and be a jerk, then people will bend over backwards to help us. that’s just not true.


so i’m going to keep it up and see what happens. and whether i get free stuff or good service or even a new friend, I’ll know that i had much more fun than i would have if i was acting rude, and I’ll know that i passed on a blessing, and made someone smile.

1 comments:

Jeff M. said...

I've really figured out over the last couple of years that it's best to be friendly. I one day thought about my favorite people in the world and realized all of them are really friendly. I decided to try it and it definitely works. People like friendly people.